Serving Tampa, St. Petersburg & State of Florida.


Representation In Court Proceedings

Representation In Court Proceedings

Bond- Wondering how Bond works for immigrants in custody?  

  • You’re not alone. I am here to help you get started with a few things you will need to know.
  • When an immigrant is detained by Immigration Officials and placed in custody, the immigrant may be eligible for bond so that they may be released from custody. 

  • After an immigrant is detained, they are generally transferred to a detention facility and remain in custody until a bond hearing is scheduled. If the Immigration Judge sets bond at the bond hearing, an immigrant’s family and friends can then pay the bond and the immigrant will be released from custody. 

  • After their release, an immigrant must attend Immigration Court proceedings.

  • Elizabeth Cuenca, P.A. is well equipped to handle bond proceedings within the state of Florida. If you or someone you know needs representation related to bond proceedings, please feel free to reach out to Elizabeth Cuenca, P.A.!

Deportation and Removal Defense – Why would I need an attorney to represent me in court?  

  • Immigrants who are involved in proceedings in Immigration Court have the opportunity to apply for relief and mount a defense to their deportation or removal. 

  • Some immigrants are eligible for applications for relief such as Cancellation of Removal. An immigrant is eligible for Cancellation of Removal if they have been physically present in the United States for a period of 10 years or longer, if they have a limited criminal history, if they have U.S. citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident qualifying relatives, and if their qualifying relatives would suffer exceptional and extremely unusual hardship as a result of the immigrant’s removal. 

  • If an application for Cancellation of Removal is granted, an immigrant will become a Lawful Permanent Resident of the United States. 

  • If you are involved in Immigration Court proceedings and want to discuss your eligibility for relief, Elizabeth Cuenca, P.A. can help you!

Motions to Reopen – In what instance would I need a motion to reopen? 

  • If an immigrant has been ordered removed or deported from the United States, the jurisdiction of their case is likely with the Executive Office of Immigration Review, the court branch of Immigration. To be able to apply for relief, the immigrant’s case must be reopened first. 

  • To reopen a case, a Motion to Reopen must be submitted to either the Immigration Judge or the Board of Immigration Appeals. 

  • If a Motion to Reopen is granted, an immigrant may be scheduled for Immigration Court or the case may be terminated to allow the immigrant to apply for relief with a different branch of immigration. 

  • If you have been ordered removed from the United States and want to discuss the possibility of reopening your case, you are welcome to reach out to Elizabeth Cuenca, P.A. to discuss your options!